Statistics? What are those?…Not quite sure, but here is a summary of our trip by numbers (Or at least ballpark figures – we can no longer count by using our fingers).
Total Distance: 5407 km (Updated Dec 31)
407 km skied
121 km walked in ski boots (Ugh)</h3
118 km in snowshoes and carried snowshoes for 400 km (Even more ugh!)
4662 km hiked (UGH!)
Started April 25th/2014
Finished December 31/2014
We thought we’d share a few of our most (and least) favorite moments from the ski portion. We will do the same for the rest, but for the ski portion, we would like to keep it separate since it was unique.
Great Divide Ski Traverse (Jasper to Lake Louise)
- Best moment – Liam & Jake: Skiing down Mt. Clemenceau (It was RAD!)
- Lowest moment – Liam & Jake: Probably going up to Mystaya Lodge. Wet. Wet wet wet!
- Worst meal – Liam & Jake: Fire-Starter tainted Food. So bad…but we were sooo hungry….
- Best meal – Liam & Jake: Homemade pizza (and cinnamon buns!) in the Bow Hut – Thank You Meghan!
- Coldest moment – Liam: Camping by Fortress Lake, Jake: Camping on The Hooker Icefield.
- Hottest moment – Liam & Jake: Going onto the Columbia Icefield. It was so unpleasantly hot, that falling in a crevasse actually sounded quite appealing. At least it would be shady (even though we may have never left…). Also, eating dinner in the Mistaya Lodge sauna was very sweaty.
- Scariest moment – Liam: Skiing down to the camp below the ramp onto the Columbia Icefield. The snow was extremely soft and very avalanche prone, Jake: Tumbling down a moraine face first at 6:30am.
- Favourite camp – Liam & Jake: Camping below Mount Clemenceau.
- Favourite view – Liam : Mount Tusk, Jake: Sunrise on Columbia Icefield.
- Favourite mountain – Liam & Jake: Mount Clemenceau.